John 8:36

“Therefore, if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.”


Taking a look at the Gospel of John for the first time since training, and such beauty came from it. John is my favorite Gospel by far. While many think he is too short, and misses out on so much detail, the shortness of it makes it so sweet. God’s word is God word. John gets the gospel across by setting forth Christs deity in order to spark believing faith in the readers. It’s in John that we see the seven miracles and the seven “I am” statements. And it does not return void. While reading through this gospel i realized one thing. God truly does mean free, indeed.
I remember being in training, and a staff member would constantly smile and tell me “free indeed.” I believed it rite? No coincidence. We look at the life of Jesus, who He is, what He does, what His life represents, and what He came for, “not to be served but to serve.” Everyone  He came in contact with was indeed set free. John 8:36 makes everything done at the cross so clear. And it convicts me. His pain, for my gain. The woman with the issue of blood yearned and was desperate to touch the father's robe. “If I can just touch, I know I can be made well.” Can you imagine being her? I mean we practically are her at times. What are the issues that lie beyond the physical. Are we grasping and reaching for the cloth and garment of Jesus?  We know when she had gotten a hold of his garment, instantly she was made well. Healed. Delivered. Set free. And indeed, she was made well. Free indeed.  
We read about the blind man. He was blind and doing what exactly? Begging, being spit on, perhaps? We don't know. Yet he heard that Jesus of Nazareth was coming His way. So He cries out! “Son of David, have mercy on me.” Having faith has his vision restored. All walls knocked down. Free indeed.

For so long we can be stuck in chains of shame and regret. Stuck in our heads about what the next step should be. The lady with the issue of blood had no hesitation, when it came to seeing Jesus come her way. But had faith, this is my chance to be free. The blind man sensed the presence of the almighty, and therefore cried out. The life of jesus and His miracles is portrayed in these ways so that we know that we can be made well, as well. All it takes is faith. It’s not the confidence in the stability of my feet. But my confidence lies in the the sovereign hand of Almighty God.  Will you quit your job to see that the life and plans God has in store for you are so much bigger? Will you reach out and surrender all your addictions and pains to see that Jesus is your healer deliverer, redeemer restorer, provider, and creator. He indeed is much bigger.. Bigger than our past, bigger than the present and the unseen future. The Father lets us know that all can be done to set us free, and free indeed. And when this is done there is no going back.

Comments

Most Popular