2 Timothy 1:7

For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

One of the easiest things to do as a christian is confuse our emotions for what the Lord is telling us to do. We like to let what we are “feeling,” guide and direct us in the opposite direction of where God has called us. This miscommunicates what the will of God is to us, and stirs in us, fear, doubt, confusion amongst other things.  We know that God is not the author of confusion. However when we let our emotions dictate the next step we take, we let God know that we have everything under control. This verse to me has always been a promise. When I begin feeling fear and doubt rise, I should know that I am no longer walking in the direction He has called me in.
Fear in itself is to be afraid, and its an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous. We can take a look at Peter in Matthew 14:22-23. He begins walking on water, when doubt, fear, and panic, strike him. This causes him to sink and cry for help.  He let his own “feelings” direct his very next step in the opposite direction of the hands of Jesus. When we let fear take over our lives, there is no room for faith. Peter saw Jesus, but in this moment he allowed his feelings to be bigger than what he been promised.
We learn that fear defeats faith, and faith drives out fear. The power that Paul is talking about is the same power that he talks about in 1 Corinthians 6:14 “And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power.” This takes faith. For me to wake up in the morning and to not rely on my own strength. To believe that the Lord is healing me from my past hurts and scars; that one day I will no longer have epilepsy- faith. For me power and faith go together. And this defeats fear.
I know that when those hard days come, some of these things seem so hard for me to both believe and apply. Power, love and a sound mind. “Where is my peace God?  How can I show that person love when all they say is_ and act like_?   And why do I feel so weak?” I’ve learned thats its a day to day thing. And the Lord truly just wants me to rely on him. I need to stop being so selfish and focus on Him and what He desires. The Lord wants the best for me. He goes before me. It’s true the enemy has his ways with us at times. But we really do love screwing it up ourselves, then blaming someone. (adam and eve) Because if there's noone to blame, then we are at fault.

So, it's Day One of One.  No more pointing the fingers. It's time to be responsible and see that fear will no longer rule us. Neither will doubt and confusion. It’s time to see that where the Lord is calling us is beyond us. Power,Love,Sound Mind.

Comments

Most Popular