Do you trust the unseen..?

“Now it came to pass on a certain day, that he went into a ship with his disciples: and he said unto them, Let us go over unto the other side of the lake. And they launched forth. [23] But as they sailed he fell asleep: and there came down a storm of wind on the lake; and they were filled with water , and were in jeopardy. [24] And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm. [25] And he said unto them, Where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for he commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him.”
   It was the plan of the Father to test the disciples in their Faith prior to arriving on the boat. The moment Jesus got onto the boat, things were being shaken. “Let us get to the other side,” was a statement saying, let's see where your Faith lies. Was it based on outward circumstances, or there foundation in Christ Jesus? Jesus had then fallen asleep. It was a physical rest, but not a spiritual abandonment. I am pushed to think about Creation. How God had rested the 7th day. He didn't leave Adam and Eve, but desired a day solely, devoted to Himself. Intimacy. Vulnerability. Love.
   When waters rise in my life, what do I do? How far do I remain on the boat before grabbing my life jacket? The disciples lacked faith, therefore immediately turning to Jesus, “Master, Master..” They didn't think about going back to shore. Nor, using something at hand to take the water out of the boat. Just immediate panic. Do we go to Jesus just because the water is rising, and when the sea is calm, all else “looks” calm.
    Jesus arose and rebuked the wind. Again, Jesus displaying His soverignty and power to the disciples and all of Creation, yet the disciples asked “Who is this man, for even the winds and water obey Him.” So what were the disciples to do? Jump ship? Swim away. Leave Jesus.
    I put myself in the disciples feet, and for sure, as soon as I would've seen Jesus close an eyelid, I would've woken Him up. When the waters rose, I would've  shouted. I know he's the one  that needed to get that boat across the lake. For the past  couple months, God has been letting me know that He is in charge not me. I am selfish, prideful, and I can hate reaching out for help at times. I need to be obedient. I need to submit. Today, and what I have done, and submit and surrender. It is a work, doesnt come with immediate deliverance. But one that comes with many blessings. When a friend or RA gives me an order I will not hesitate. I will not complain. I will remain joyful. And do all things for the kingdom of God.

Comments

Most Popular